One thing we all have in common is we are getting older, and the older we get the more our body starts to break down and not look or work the way we want it to. The process of aging is going to happen to all of us, but there are things that we can do to slow the process and even reverse many of the bad things about aging. If you do all 6 of these things, you will not only slow down your aging but quite possible make some things better than they have ever been before.
- Stop destructive behavior: This covers a wide range of things that we do to our bodies. The most common are smoking, excessive alcohol drinking, using drugs, many of which are legal prescription drugs, distracted driving and doing dangerous things before thinking about the consequences to others and ourselves.
- Eat the right food: The food you put in your body is the fuel to run your body. Just like any machine, if you put in bad fuel, you will get bad results from the machine. You should eat a balanced diet of 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. The carbs should be mostly fruits, vegetables, and whole grains high in fiber. The protein should be lean beef, pork, chicken and fish, along with eggs and protein supplements to make sure you get enough. The fats should be the good fats that help your body function properly and not clog your arteries.
- Regular exercise: Exercise needs to be a part of your daily life; you need to find time to squeeze some in everyday. Your exercise should consist of cardio and weight training. Exercise gives you huge benefits in keeping you looking and feeling younger. Exercise will also give you more energy and make you feel much better. Exercise will also allow you to help you get rid of some prescription drugs that are related to the destructive behavior stated above.
- Control your stress levels: High stress can make you age faster than time. Stress can affect your mind and body in a very negative way to make you look and feel older than you are. Exercise is a great way to relieve stress as is finding a hobby that you really enjoy doing.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep: Even though you can get by on 6 hours or less of sleep, it is not the best for your overall health. Try adding an hour of sleep and you will be amazed at how much better you feel and how much more energy you have and how much better your brain will function on 7 hours of sleep
- The last thing is to think young: You will surprise yourself at how much you can do when you don’t think you are too old to do it anymore. As you exercise and you push yourself a little harder each time, you will be amazed at what you can actually do. You can increase your muscle mass and increase your endurance and muscle tone at any age, it may get harder as you age but you really can get healthier and more fit, even if your over 50 or 70, or any age.
If you are not now exercising, talk to your doctor to make sure what you can do to start exercising, but get moving in the right direction and put the right fuel in your machine, get enough rest, control stress and stop destructive things you are doing to your body, and you can add enjoyable, quality years to your life.